Chile's US$1.6bn high speed train yet to depart

By
Thursday, July 12, 2018

Plans to build a US$1.6bn high speed rail link between Chilean capital Santiago and the port city of Valparaíso remain on uncertain terrain over a month after authorities questioned the decision of the consortium that presented the project to use the country's railways law instead of the concessions system.

After a seminar held at Diego Portales University, transport minister Gloria Hutt told BNamericas that "we delivered a list of information requirements and so far we haven't received a response. When we get it we will hold a new meeting" with the consortium.

Start your 15 day free trial now!

cta-arrow

Already a subscriber? Please, login

In May, TVS stated that it had proposed using the railways law in order to speed up the project's execution, and claimed that using the concessions model could take up to 12 years.

When consulted if she would prefer the concessions system for the high speed train, Hutt said that "we prefer to have competition, regardless of what is the road taken."

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for TVS told BNamericas that "we are in the stage of drawing up [answers to the requirements]. We don't have a definitive date to respond."

TVS comprises China Railways Group (CREC) and Chile's Sigdo Koppers and Latinoamérica Infraestructura.